Music software and soundware vendor Spirit Canyon Audio has released Sanitarium, a collection of more than 500 dark and disturbing impulse response files. Sanitarium transforms nearly any standard convolution reverb program into a general-purpose spectral processor.
Convolution reverbs are now well-established as an easy and powerful way for musicians and sound designers to add lush and realistic emulations of real acoustic spaces to their work. However convolution is itself little more than a highly intricate filtering mechanism, one that is well suited for all sorts of creative sound design.
Spirit Canyon Audio first addressed this market with the releases of Spectral Relativity and Kaleidoskopy in 2004. Now, with the release of Sanitarium, Spirit Canyon Audio has taken the concepts of spectral convolution processing and extended them into its first themed collection, targeted primarily at dark ambient, industrial, noise, abstract, IDM, and other aggressive-but-textural electronic music.
Sanitarium is a collection of twisted, aggressive impulse responses, to be used in nearly any modern convolution engine, designed to:
- Place instruments over deep textures impossible to duplicate with traditional reverb processors
- Add harsh “slap-back” style delay effects to percussion
- Morph and blur audio tracks to an extreme degree
- Bury traditional instruments behind layers of ambience
- Dement, mangle and distort sound beyond recognition
- Create new ambient textures from even the most simple sounds
- Alter the spectral balance of audio in novel ways
- Add a range of flavors — metallic, electric, fluid and more — with exceptional ease
Sanitarium is compatible with all modern operating systems and usable with nearly all software convolution engines. Detailed compatibility reports can be found on the Spirit Canyon Audio web site. There are more than 500 impulse responses in the library amassing over 650MB of data, all in pristine 24-bit stereo WAV format.
Sanitarium is pricef at US$34.99, with a discount available to existing customers. It is available both in CD-ROM format and as a downloadable product.
For more information, visit their web site at www.spiritcanyonaudio.com