The Shure SM58 dynamic microphone is a cardioid (unidirectional) microphone in extremely common professional use for live PA (public address) and alsoin studio recording.
The Shure SM58 is known particularly as a vocal microphone. It has a built-in spherical pop shield that provides protection from 'popping' due to 'P' and 'B' sounds, and also to breath noise.
The cardioid pickup pattern is effective in isolating the sound source from unwanted sources of sound – typically stage monitors, which might otherwise be picked up and cause coloration or even feedback (howlround).
The frequency response of this microphone is tailored for a crisp vocal sound that will cut through without undue gain having to be applied.
The Shure SM58 is known for its rugged construction. Individual models have been proven to survive rough handling, and even dropping onto a hard surface, although this level of rough treatment should be avoided for all microphones.
- Frequency response tailored for vocals, with brightened midrange and bass roll off
- Uniform cardioid pickup pattern isolates the main sound source and minimizes background noise
- Pneumatic shock-mount system cuts down handling noise
- Effective, built-in spherical wind and pop filter
- Three-pin professional audio connector (male XLR type)
- Dark gray, enamel-painted, die cast metal case; matte-finished, silver colored, spherical steel mesh grille
- Supplied with break-resistant stand adapter which rotates 180 degrees
- Legendary Shure quality, ruggedness, and reliability
- Certification: Eligible to bear CE Marking. Conforms to European EMC Directive 89/336/EEC. Meets applicable tests and performance criteria in European Standard EN55103 (1996) parts 1 and 2, for residential (E1) and light industrial (E2) environments.
- SM58S (With On/Off Switch) – Audio Masterclass does not advise the use of microphones with such switches.
Audio Masterclass rating for the Shure SM58 dynamic microphone: 10/10