October 27, 2004
Digidesign has announced Pro Tools 6.7 software, making enhancements to MIDI sequencing capabilities designed to make MIDI recording, editing and mixing features as easy to work with as audio.
The audio and MIDI feature set in Pro Tools 6.7 has been expanded to deliver tempo-dependent audio placement, tempo-dependent automation, graphic tempo editing, precise control of meter changes, MIDI step input, enhanced support for instrument plug-ins, MIDI Detective, and Beat Detective LE. Pro Tools 6.7 also brings true cross-platform parity for simplified session transfer with major MIDI functionality enhancements to Windows.
Pro Tools 6.7 software expands and enhances the Pro Tools 6.x feature set with features and benefits specifically designed to support the work of music composers. Those include:
- New support for RTAS instruments on TDM Aux inputs provides better instrument plug-in integration, session organization, and LE/TDM session interoperability
- Support for multiple plug-in outputs enables mixing and processing of individual sound sources from instrument plug-ins (Synth and sampler plug-ins must have multiple outputs designed to work with Pro Tools 6.7 functionality.)
- Simple yet thorough step-by-step song composition with the MIDI Step Input window — Facilitates building complex or difficult MIDI tracks
- New MIDI Detective functionality allows generation of tempo maps and groove templates directly from “free” MIDI performances
- With Beat Detective LE, Pro Tools LE users can now take advantage of many of the Beat Detective features previously only available to TDM users
- The TC/E tool's support for MIDI regions enables users to expand or contract MIDI passages exactly as it is done with audio regions, allowing timing changes of individual MIDI regions without affecting the overall session tempo
- Fast drawing and editing of tempo curves are now facilitated through the Tempo Editor pane, including nudging and trimming of tempo segments
- Tempo curves, global insertion/deletion of time, and auto-editing of data when changing meter are all now available through the new Tempo and Time Operations windows
- Tick (musical tempo)-based Audio, Aux and Master tracks keep audio region start points and automation in perfect sync with MIDI
- Straightforward management of external MIDI devices on Windows XP via the MIDI Studio Setup window and advanced patch name support
- With Windows-based systems, support of MIDI Time Stamping and MIDI I/O with improved playback timing resolution
- Organization by function within Pro Tools sessions is now available through color-coding feature — Color-code tracks, regions, markers and much more for instant identification
- New Undo History window enables users to instantly and conveniently return to previous stages of a session's development
- Non-administrator user support for Macintosh and Windows enables users who do not have administrative access to run Pro Tools unimpeded, and IT professionals in facilities and schools to manage user preferences and access
- Enhanced Windows interoperability with legacy Macintosh sessions — Open and convert older SD II-based sessions in one easy step
Pro Tools 6.7 software requires a Digidesign-approved Pro Tools|HD, Pro Tools|HD Accel, Digi 002, Digi 002 Rack or Mbox system running on Windows XP or Mac OS X.
Free Updates for Pro Tools|HD System Owners
Registered owners of Pro Tools|HD and HD Accel systems running Pro Tools TDM 6.4 or higher are eligible to receive the Pro Tools TDM 6.7 software update for free. A valid Pro Tools TDM 6.4 authorization code is required to download Pro Tools TDM 6.7 from the Digidesign website, and Pro Tools TDM 6.4 or above must be currently installed for the updater to work.
Free updates will be available for existing Pro Tools TDM 6.4 owners via Web download on approximately November 1, 2004. Pro Tools TDM 6.7 Updater CDs will also be available at local Digidesign dealers in November. For system owners who cannot get to a local Digidesign dealer for the free Updater CD or who cannot successfully download the software, the Pro Tools TDM 6.7 Updater CD will be available through the online DigiStore (store.digidesign.com) for $4.95 plus shipping and local tax, if applicable.
Upgrades for Pro Tools|HD System Owners
Pro Tools|HD and HD Accel owners running Pro Tools software versions older than Pro Tools TDM 6.4 can purchase the Pro Tools TDM 6.7 upgrade for $175 US. Pro Tools TDM 6.7 upgrade kits are available for order through the online DigiStore at store.digidesign.com. They can also be purchased from local Digidesign dealers beginning November 15, 2004.
Please note that Pro Tools TDM 6.7 software is not compatible with Pro Tools|24MIX systems.
Free Updates for Pro Tools LE System Owners
Pro Tools LE 6.7 is a free update for registered Pro Tools LE system owners who purchased new hardware systems on or after September 25, 2004. Owners who meet that criteria must complete a Pro Tools LE 6.7 Update Request Form and mail it to Digidesign along with a copy of the dated purchase receipt from an authorized Digidesign dealer. Upon receipt and processing of this form, Digidesign will mail the upgrade. Please note: This update will not be available for download.
Pro Tools LE system owners who purchased a new Pro Tools LE product from an authorized Digidesign reseller between September 25, 2004, and October 25, 2004, must submit their Update Request Form and dated receipt by November 25, 2004.
Upgrades for Pro Tools LE System Owners
Digi 002, Digi 002 Rack, and Mbox owners can purchase the Pro Tools LE 6.7 upgrade for $75. Pro Tools LE 6.7 upgrade kits are available for order through the DigiStore, and will be available from Digidesign dealers beginning November 15, 2004.
Please note that Pro Tools LE 6.7 software is not compatible with Digi 001 systems.
Pro Tools 6.7 Inclusion in New Pro Tools|HD Systems & Pro Tools LE Systems Full Pro Tools 6.7 installer CDs will be included in shipping Pro Tools|HD and HD Accel systems beginning late October 2004, and in Pro Tools LE systems around January 1, 2005.
For more information, visit their web site at www.digidesign.com