Louder Than Liftoff announces CHROMA+.
CHROMA+ is a highly customizable stereo / dual mono tracking and mixing channel designed for modern hybrid studios that want more results in less space. CHROMA+ utilizes Louder Than Liftoff’s celebrated Twin Tone-Amp™ architecture and Tone Shaping EQ, derived from the very circuits used in the acclaimed Silver Bullet.
Answering the call for flexibility and customization, CHROMA+ delivers with its twin topology (A or N) line processor and mic/instrument amp and adds an exciting twist – an analog plugin slot in each channel accepting Colour Modules. This feature allows additional processing like tube saturation, compression, or additional EQ bands to be inserted into the signal path and mixed with CHROMA+’s classic 'A' or 'N' inspired MOJO Amps for the ultimate in front and back end versatility. There’s even a Mega Mono Mode for cascading the full arsenal of CHROMA+ into a 4-stage channel strip.
CHROMA+ Features At A Glance
- Mic or Mix/Line/Instrument mode
- 48V phantom power
- Polarity Reverse
- Mix/Line/Instrument Gain: 0 to +26 dB, +26 to +52 dB (High Gain mode)
- Mic Gain: +8 to +34 dB, +34 to +60 dB (High Gain mode)
- Selectable ‘A’ and ‘N’ inspired MOJO Amps – same as in Silver Bullet
- 2x Colour-compatible analog plugin slots
- Colour Drive: -6 to +18 dB
- Colour Mix: crossfade blend of processed and dry signal
- Auto-switching stereo DI inputs for Instruments
- Feeds entire CHROMA signal path for full MOJO Amp coloration and Colour slot processing
- Retro Mode alters loading and frequency response for a rounder tone
- DI gain = +10 dB, selectable via internal jumper to 0 or +20 dB
- DI 2 input can be configured as a THRU jack via an internal jumper
- Mega Mono channel mode (CH 1>2) feeds channel 1 output into channel 2 input
- Baxandall Tone Boost EQ
- LF (+3 dB): Pultec-inspired Subsonic (30 Hz) and Bass (60 Hz) frequencies
- HF (+4 dB): Presence and Air frequencies
- Vintage: softens high-frequency response to emulate vintage British consoles
- Custom American made transformers
- ROGUE FIVE discrete op-amps designed by Louder Than Liftoff, conforming to standard 2520 footprint
- Signal present indicator and bi-directional meter
- Powered by new ultra-low noise Hypermatter PSU
- All circuit components were chosen by ear for maximum MOJO
CHROMA+ In Detail
BUS PROCESSOR AND MIC/INSTRUMENT PREAMP IN ONE
CHROMA+ is designed for ultimate versatility with hybrid workflows in mind just like its big brother, the Silver Bullet. These days gear needs to deliver results on both the front end and the back end. Featuring LINE, DI, and MIC modes, CHROMA+ is both a line-level processor for groups or mix bus, and a preamp for instrument and mic level sources.
- Mix / 2-Bus mojo
- Mic preamp
- Stem / Bus processing
- Synth, guitar, or bass DI
- Tracking channel strip with compression, EQ, saturation depending on the configuration
TWIN TONE-AMP™ ARCHITECTURE
At the heart of CHROMA are two Mojo Amps inspired by classic large-format consoles – American (A), and British (N). These Mojo Amps lend their characteristic sonic footprints to any signal passing through the circuit. Like the Silver Bullet, CHROMA+ is the only processor of its kind that allows you to enable A or N sonics at the push of a button. Auditioning these two signature sounds during a session no longer requires re-patching or swapping preamps.
WORLD-CLASS STEREO DI WITH RETRO MODE
A world-class FET-input DI was developed for the front end of CHROMA+ offering superior definition, punch, and low-end girth for the capture of instrument level sources. It is capable of both stereo and dual-mono operation. Synths, samplers, guitars, and basses can be plugged directly into the auto-switching front panel jacks for the full amplification, saturation, and tone-shaping that CHROMA+ offers. A switchable RETRO Mode provides two distinct tonal personalities to the DI. In the ‘out’ position the sound is modern – detailed in the mids and highs, and extended through the lower octaves. When RETRO Mode is engaged the tone becomes more rounded and vintage, with a tighter bottom end and mellower high end. RETRO Mode is perfect for vintage bass tones and sweeping 80’s synth sounds. As an added bonus, the second DI input can be configured as a “Thru” jack for the first, via an internal jumper.
MEGA MONO CHANNEL MODE (CH 1>2)
In addition to offering both stereo and dual-mono operation, CHROMA+ is capable of becoming a Mega Mono channel to facilitate more creative processing chains. When the CH 1>2 switch is engaged, the output of channel 1 will feed into the input of channel 2 and put the power of two CHROMAs in series. The channel 1 output will also still be available on its respective XLR connector. Have you ever wanted to record your guitar through an N-style preamp, compress it with an 1176, give it a presence boost, then drive it into a second N-style Amp with a tape-like low-frequency head bump? Mega Mono Mode makes this and more possible.
NEW HYPERMATTER POWER SUPPLY
This is the first product that features our brand-new PSU with Hypermatter technology. We spent the last year in research and development with one simple goal: to create a power delivery system with unparalleled noise, voltage regulation, and transient response performance. We are proud to introduce Hypermatter, a state-of-the-art power supply technology we believe to be truly fit for the demands of high-resolution audio. It renders dynamic sound with revealing detail, dimension, and gut-punching authority. The Hypermatter PSU architecture uses a 4-layer PCB, cutting edge LDO regulators, and nothing but the best components to bring CHROMA+ to life in ways that must be heard. With Hypermatter your music has never felt more alive.
FOUR CONFIGURATIONS: STANDARD, TUBE, COMP, EQ
CHROMA+ is available in four versatile configurations to suit various workflows:
- Tube: pre-loaded with 2x Pentode Mk2 Colour modules for tube mojo and 2-band Baxandall boost/cut
- Comp: pre-loaded with 2x Implode Colour modules for classic 1176-style FET compression
- EQ: pre-loaded with 2x FET Filter Colour modules for midrange cut and FET saturation
- Standard: un-loaded Colour slots allowing for a la carte customization
CUSTOMIZE CHROMA+ WITH ANALOG PLUGINS
CHROMA+ allows you to expand its sonic versatility further and to create a custom channel strip by installing your choice of analog plugins called Colour modules. A wide variety of fully assembled analog plugins, affordably priced from $69 – $129, are available, and are easily installed in the Colour Module slot on each channel’s printed circuit board – no tools required. Just insert your favorite Colour Module into the slot (one per channel), adjust the drive (C-DRV), and blend (C-MIX) the processing with the dry signal to taste.
Louder Than Liftoff offers the following analog plugins for CHROMA+:
- Pentode Mk2 – a tone sculpting tube saturator
- Implode – the world’s smallest 1176 compressor
- Rogue Tec Air – a Pultec HF shelving EQ
- FET Filter – a FET buffered tone-shaper with low shelf, high pass, and mid EQ
- Mass Drivr – a classic American channel inspired by a transformer/DOA Line Amplifier
- Royal Blue – a vintage British channel with discrete transistor and transformer circuitry
- Super Filter – high and low pass filters with multi-stage saturation
- MN-50 Smash Compressor – aggressive FET compressor
- Many other third-party modules are also available from DIYRE
Other exciting new analog plugin modules from Louder Than Liftoff are also in development and will be announced in the future.
The initial run of CHROMA+ will begin shipping in late January 2020. A pre-order discount of $150 is available to those that purchase CHROMA+ before December 31, 2019. Prices will revert to RRP on January 1, 2020.
INTRODUCTORY PRE-ORDER PRICING
CHROMA+ Standard: $1399 – (RRP $1549)
CHROMA+ Tube, Comp & EQ: $1499 – (RRP $1649)
For more info visit www.louderthanliftoff.com