January 20, 2005
Peavey has introduced the new all-tube JSX 212 combo guitar amplifier, which translates the tonal flexibility and responsive, versatile gain structures of the JSX head into a combo amp. The JSX 212 is the latest product of the company's partnership with legendary virtuoso Joe Satriani.
Augmenting the original JSX amp's three-channel, 120 Watt configuration are two custom-designed 12″ JSX speakers in an open-back design, plus a master analog reverb and line out with level. The amp also includes global presence and resonance controls; three-band EQ and level on each channel; and FAT switches and a fully adjustable noise gate for the Ultra and Crunch channels.
Peavey implemented creative design measures to ensure the JSX 212 reflects the character and power of the original amp head. For example, Satriani worked with Peavey to create the JSX loudspeaker, which is specially voiced to convey the array of tones the amp can produce. The 212 can also be connected to another 212 in stereo or run with another cabinet for extra volume. Like the head version, this 212 is switchable for 4, 8 or 16 Ohms.
“These JSX speakers offer up the biggest, most balanced tone, with chiming highs and big, tight lows,” said Joe Satriani. “They scream and cry but won't fall to pieces. The middle frequencies are tuned to allow for clear articulation, which helps the amp perform as both a stellar clean-sounding amp as well asa thick-and-punchy high gain unit.”
The combo's open-backed design offers sonic possibilities not available with a traditional head-and-cabinet configuration. “Many of the biggest and baddest sounds in rock history have been created using open-backed cabinet designs,” he says. “Positioning the amp to have the sound reflect from the back of the cabinet off a wall, or putting mics on both the front and back of the speakers, can be extremely useful and fun to play with. The open-back design is a real plus, because the speakers' performance is not dampened in any way.”
- 120 Watts into 4, 8 or 16 Ohms
- Four EL34 power amp tubes and four 12AX7 preamp tubes
- Two custom-designed 12″ JSX speakers
- Full/half power switch
- Power amp switchable to use EL34s or 6L6GSs
- Three footswitchable channels
- Clean channel: volume, bass, mid, treble
- Crunch channel: gain and volume, bass, mid, treble EQ and FAT switch
- Ultra channel: gain and volume, bass, mid, treble EQ and FAT switch
- Noise Gate control for distortion channels
- Master volume
- Master reverb
- Footswitchable effects loop with send and return controls
- Resonance and Presence controls
- Line out with level control
- Footswitch included
- U.S. MSRP and availability TBA
For more information, visit their web site at www.peavey.com