The School of Sound Engineering & Music Technology within City of Westminster College seeks to introduce people who are dedicated and committed to the Sound Engineering industry and to the technical side of the Music industry.
The Sound Engineering industry consists of:
- Live Sound
- Theatre Sound
- Sound for Multimedia
'Sound' consists of dialogue, sound effects, the application of pre-recorded music, and music.
The Music Industry, as addressed by the School of Sound Engineering & Music Technology, consists of:
- Electronic, acoustic and digital musical instruments (commonly known as Music Technology)
- The technical and professional protocols of recording studios
- The music business, as seen by engineers, recording producers and those who might collaborate in some way toward the creative process
The School seeks to serve the interests of industry by giving students the following:
- Realistic advice on their chances of entering the industry and their prospects with it
- An awareness that although a few people earn large amounts of money in the industry, most will earn less than people doing work of equivalent quality outside of the industry
- Encouragement and confidence to commit to a supporting role in the industry.
The School seeks to serve the interests of students in the follow ways:
- Equality of opportunity based on merit and commitment
- To give students transferable skills so that a wide range of possible employment opportunities are potentially available on completion of their course
- Giving equal advantage to musicians and non-musicians
- Encouraging students to support the work of actors, composers, musicians and producers
- The School recognises that in exceptionally rare situations, serious and committed home recording enthusiasts might use what we offer as an aid towards a future career in recording or production
Work hard and enjoy your time in the School of Sound Engineering & Music Technology.